Part-Time Legal Assistant
Position Overview: The Law Office of Shannon DeWall provides a client-centered approach to Elder Law, Estate Planning, and Special Needs Planning. We are seeking a legal assistant to work in our Livonia office for 6-10 hours per week, with possibility of full-time as the office grows. The Legal Assistant coordinates communication among attorneys, and with clients. Versatility managing detail-oriented tasks and strong people skills are essential. The Legal Assistant is expected to track the current status of every client’s case, oversee successful completion of tasks for clients, and handle general case administration for attorneys. The Legal Assistant works directly for attorneys in a supportive gatekeeper role and interacts frequently with clients on sensitive matters. The Legal Assistant processes financial and legal correspondence; manages calendar systems; assists with consultations and strategy sessions with clients; and drafts or reviews letters and legal documents for estate planning, contracts, affidavits, promissory notes, and deeds. Gathering records for public benefits applications is also important to the position.
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- One year of legal assistant experience preferred.
- Exceptional computer skills required (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Familiarity with ElderDocx drafting software a plus.
- Comfortable and confident exercising independent judgment.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills with clients, families, and attorneys is a must.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills. Must be able to work independently and with minimal supervision and direction.
- Attention to detail critically important with strong proofreading skills and high standards for work product.
- Professional appearance and demeanor necessary.
- Must be comfortable working with older people, people with disabilities, their families, and other professionals. Patience, kindness, and tolerance toward clients and coworkers required. Good sense of humor and optimism important.
- Maintains the highest standards of confidentiality for the firm.
- Has a clean background check and willing to become a Notary Public.
- Serve as a liaison among the firm’s attorneys and clients to ensure that the legal strategies and the attorney’s ideas are clearly conveyed.
- Support attorney in completion of tasks.
- Listen to the client and transmit the client’s needs and goals effectively.
- Document client consultation notes, attorney strategy session notes, and team action plans.
- Serve as point of contact for clients: assess issues, handle basic information requests, and coordinate next steps for clients and the attorney.
- Set deadlines and keep the team and client progressing toward the end goals.
- Estate planning/document drafting: draft basic planning documents. Work closely with clients on document changes, edits, and questions; proofread all documents carefully with high standards for end product; facilitate completion of planning by handling follow up, scheduling and completing document signings.
- Manage attorneys calendars, schedule appointments, and track critical deadlines.
$11 - $15 per hour, depending on skills and experience
Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected]